Thursday 17 July 2014

My Cancer Story: A Summary

If you have obvious physical signs that you've had cancer, some people decide it is appropriate to ask what's happened when they first meet you or notice these things about you. In my case, it is my limp that most people pick up on. Although, this is becoming less obvious now which I would describe as lucky if it wasn't solely down to jaw clenching, eye scrunching, my leg's about to fall off exercise. The people who ask what's up with my leg are new people that weren't present during my treatment and so think I may have broken it or been involved in some exotic skiing accident or something like that. Their facial expression changes quite dramatically as I fumble around my cancer story, trying to shield them from the gory details whilst attempting to avoid the box in my brain with the cancer memories in. So, over the years, I have created a spiel that rolls off my tongue whenever I'm asked what's happened. It goes as follows:
Basically, I had Ewing's Sarcoma in my my right leg, which is a form of bone cancer. I was diagnosed in 2005 and had a year of chemotherapy and a knee replacement. That was when I was eight so since then I've had other operations on my legs to solve the issues caused by the fact that metal doesn't grow like bones do. 
That is then always followed up by 'Oh I'm so sorry' or other phrases along those lines, and sometimes other questions about what happened. But that's the spiel. That's the response stored in my brain on default when I'm questioned. There's obviously so much more to my story but that's not really something I want to share with those people. That's what I'm going to share with you through this blog. I feel that if you've found this blog and if you're still reading this you're interested and may have been personally affected by cancer, therefore my next post will be my full overall story. 

Sophie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment