Monday 28 July 2014

Lonliness

Cancer is a lonely thing to have, especially when it's as rare as bone cancer / Ewing's sarcoma. I never understood people who wanted to be different because I felt different for the wrong reason. I know that there are other people out there who've had Ewing's, but they aren't people that I know. There is just a complete lack of understanding from people who haven't experienced cancer; it's like trying to explain the colour red to a blind person. I am thankful for this though, because I would not wish that upon anyone, but it kind of sucks for me.
Just after treatment I was set up to meet someone who had also survived Ewing's and I was so excited to actually meet someone who understood and I set myself up to connect with this person, but unfortunately it didn't help me. Being 9, I went with my mum to this woman's flat near where I live. We got there and my hope of making a friend who understood started to disintegrate. She was around 30, with a husband and a child. She had Ewing's in her fibula, which is the bone behind your shin that you don't actually need. This meant that her treatment consisted of an operation to remove part of that bone, without any chemo or lasting affects. As she stood, cigarette in hand, I decided that I was completely alone in this. 
That's part of the reason that I like getting involved in events to do with cancer charities and why I went to the Bone Cancer Research Conference in June. The conference was exactly what I needed, although I had to leave early which sucked.
So this is an open invite for anyone who is suffering from / has survived / is a parent/child/sibling of someone suffering from bone cancer, if you'd like to speak to me about anything, rant at me, have a chat about how you're feeling, or just share a good cry, add me on facebook: Sophie Hartley, and message me there or follow me on twitter @sophielouisaxo and DM me :)
I'll try to help as much as I can but obviously, I am not a professional so I'm sorry in advance that I can't help more.

Sophie xo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie,
    Just wanted to say I really like your blog and this post really struck at chord with me. Cancer is lonely and it shouldn't be that way. I was diagnosed with a spinal chondrosarcoma when 21 (almost a year ago now) - my only option was a long intensive surgery which left me with a permanent spinal cord injury, rendering me a paraplegic. I spent over a month on a spinal ward and then 4 months in a spinal injury rehab centre, so I never actually met another person with bone cancer. I have plenty of paraplegic friends that I discuss that side with, but cancer is something I never felt I could open up to anyone about. I really wish there was more support out there.
    Reading your blog makes me feel like I can relate to someone if I don't personally know you - so keep it up :) x

    ReplyDelete