Friday 5 September 2014

Understanding

Throughout my post-diagnosis life I’ve strived to find someone like me. I keep mentioning it in what seems to be every blog post, because I think it’s what makes it so hard. No two cancer experiences are the same. And I need to deal with the fact that I will never meet someone the same as me. Going to the Bone Cancer Research Trust 2014 Conference helped me a tremendous amount, especially when I was part of an open discussion with other survivors, sufferers and parents of people who’d had bone cancer. I felt part of a special group of people. And then I had to leave, and reality hit me. I don’t live with those people, or even near those people. I was alone again.
For some psychological reason unknown to me, I can’t accept that I am alone in this. No one will understand exactly how I feel because no one else will have had Ewing’s as an eight year old girl, had the same knee surgeries, had the same environment or family... etc.
I wish there was an international network or some sort of social media site in place for cancer survivors where you could be divided and subdivided into different groups, e.g. sufferer / survivor, breast cancer / bone cancer etc, because maybe on a worldwide scale there will be someone nearly the same. That’s kind of the reason why I’ve carried on with this blog. I feel like I’m finally beginning to reach out to people that understand. The few comments that I’ve received have truly touched my heart. I re-read them when I haven’t posted in a while, just to make this blog seem worthwhile.  Thank you to those who’ve commented on my posts. <3


Sophie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment